TOTO (Topeka Opportunity to Own) helps Topeka residents become homeowners by providing education, financing and home rehabilitation. You will have the advantage of guidance from a Certified Homebuyer Counselor through the entire homebuying process.
The City of Topeka will provide up to $10,000 for down payment assistance and up to $30,000 for repairs. Financing for the home purchase will be provided by Capitol Federal. (see more)
- $500 minimum down payment
- Purchase anywhere in the City of Topeka
- Sales price cannot go over $75,000
- Cannot own real estate at time of closing
- Credit readiness and approval
- Budget evaluation will determine affordability
- Attend 6 hours of homebuyer education
- Attend 2 hours of home maintenance education
2021-2022 HUD Median Annual Family Income Guidelines – 80% Area Median
|Yearly Income 80%||$43,120||$49,280||$55,440||$61,600||$66,560||$71,520||$76,400||$81,360|
A qualified housing counselor will help you with:
- Setting up a budget
- Credit readiness
- Financing options
- Grant opportunities
- Action plan to accomplish your goals
- Down payment
- Working with a lender
- Working with a realtor
- Selecting a home
- Offers and closings
- Home maintenance
By the end of the counsel, you’ll be prepared to pursue home ownership and feel more confident about the entire home buying process. The session takes an average of 60-90 minutes and includes a home buyer education certificate at completion. This certificate is necessary to access many of the financial assistance programs.
There is no fee for pre-purchase counseling.
To prepare for your appointment
These forms are in Adobe Reader files. If you don’t have the software, download it free prior to attempting to access the files.
- Counseling worksheet
- Credit release and information form
- Photo ID
- 2 of your most recent pay stubs
- Proof of any other income (child support, SSDI, etc.)
If you are attending your counseling session in person, bring the completed information listed above with you to your appointment. If you are conducting your session by phone, please return the completed information listed above to our office in advance of your appointment and keep a copy for yourself to refer to during the session.
Capitol Federal since 1992